Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ode

A crow squawks in my face
A shadow obfuscates my sight
Two weasels and two foxes
Cross the field I am riding by
My horse’s legs give out
My servant falls and foams at the mouth
I hear thunder crack the pillars of the sky
A ghost materializes before my eyes
Charon calls me to his boat
I peer deep into the earth

This river runs upstream to its birth
A bell tower is mounted by an ox
Blood trickles from the rocks
An asp copulates with a bear
High above the rooftops
A serpent shreds a vulture
A fire burns in ice
The sun is a black space
I spy the moon as it drops
This tree has moved from its place


Ode

Un corbeau devant moi croasse,
Une ombre offusque mes regards,
Deux belettes et deux renards
Traverse l’endroit où je passe,
Les pieds faillent à mon cheval,
Mon laquais tombe du haut mal,
J’entends craqueter le tonnerre,
Un esprit se présente à moi,
J’ois Charron qui m’appelle à soi,
Je vois le centre de la terre.

Ce ruisseau remonte à sa source,
Un boeuf gravit sur un clocher,
Le sang coule de ce rocher,
Un aspic s’accouple d’une ourse,
Sur le haut d’une vieille tour
Un serpent déchire un vautour,
Le feu brûle dedans la glace,
Le Soleil est devenu noir,
Je vois la lune qui va choir,
Cet arbre est sorti de sa place.

Théophile de Viau (1621)

No comments:

Post a Comment